I still don't pray
Not like I should
I'm coming closer and closer to belief
But it remains elusive
I used to think Jesus was just another prophet
I've come to believe in the Holy Trinity
I used to think all faiths led to God
But now I'm not so sure
If you don't believe in a Christian God
Can you really go to a Christian hell?
Is it a physical place, like I've read?
A God that created the universe
Could certainly create a heaven and hell
Like two distant planets
But I don't want to believe
That someone who grew up in another faith
Could go to a Christian hell.
Sometimes religion is like your parents
You can't help what you're born into
Maybe I was lucky after all--
Being born into nothing
Christian values I suppose,
But we didn't go to church
Maybe I'm lucky,
To get to decide without
A lifetime of conditioning
Or maybe it would have been better
To be born into a church-going family
Where faith would have been second nature
But you can't change your upbringing
And all I have is this weight of choice
Sitting on my shoulders
No comments:
Post a Comment